The K53 driving licence test - light and heavy motor vehicles and motorcycles
K53 test scoring method
K53 test - Immediate failure items
The K53 Pre-Trip Inspection Of The Vehicle
The K53 yard test manoeuvres - motor vehicles
The K53 road test - motor vehicles
K53 motorcycle riding test
K53 motorcycle test track layout
The K53 driving licence test
Light and heavy motor vehicles and motorcycle
Purpose and conditions
This is a practical driving test to determine the ability of aspirant motor vehicle drivers and
The driving test measures a driver's proficiency in:
- handling the vehicle
- obedience to traffic rules
- road signs
- traffic signals and surface markings
- correct application of the K53 defensive driving system through all aspects of the test
- coping with traffic problems in practical driving situations
You may not do the driving test in a light motor vehicle that is less than 3 m in length.
During the test, smoking and the use of cellular phones are not allowed.
What the test covers
Light and heavy motor vehicle test:
Need driving lessons?
- A pre-trip inspection of the vehicle's roadworthiness.
- A yard test of your basic manoeuvring skills, away from traffic:
- starting the engine;
- moving off;
- turning around in the road: 'three-point-turn' (light vehicles only);
- alley docking: reversing into an alley, and driving out again;
- parallel parking (light vehicles only);
- stopping and moving off on an incline;
- left turn (light vehicles if towing a trailer, and heavy vehicles); and
- reversing in a straight line (light vehicles if towing a trailer, and heavy vehicles).
- A road test conducted on public roads carrying traffic, including the following situations where available:
- obeying traffic signals;
- changing lanes;
- speed control;
- turning left and right at intersections;
- proceeding through an intersection;
- uncontrolled intersections;
- obeying yield signs and traffic lights;
- stopping in traffic;
- stopping at a stop sign;
- a traffic circle;
- a railway level crossing;
- a pedestrian crossing;
- entering a freeway;
- leaving a freeway;
- passing a freeway off-ramp and on-ramp;
- overtaking on a freeway; and
- an emergency stop.
for a comprehensive list of qualified driving instructors near you for all driving codes.